Happenings And Stories
What Else Happened

Top of the page
Mahboob Haider Khan, 6/ 289
Saturday Special

(Published in annual College Magazine in 1975)

There goes the bugle. Reveille ---. The duty cadet comes up to each bed and shouts "Get up".

"Oh, what a nonsense boy you are! What hell you wake me up from my heavenly sleep?

"Oh dear, today is Saturday; it is not like other days. So don’t get worried." The duty cadet replies.

It is only then that the sense of punctuality pricks our conscience and we don’t get late for the morning P.T. It’s a great sacrifice indeed on our part for the majestic royal guest, "Mr. Saturday."

After P.T., bathrooms get crowded by the unusually large number of visitors. All become enthusiastic to accord a hearty welcome to the captivating Saturday.

Bread, chop, sweet and a cup of tea in the breakfast are something more than delicious and saucy.

"Squad, by the right, quick march"…….. the command from the commander and the cadets, well dressed in Khaki, armed with zeal and fascinated by the potential "film show", march smartly to the academic block for their lessons.

The classes break at 12-40. Then follows the lunch. At the dining table, hot chats go on covering every sphere of college life making the dining hall quite noisy.

When lunch is over we take rest. The wild whistle blows. "Boys go for Society." The House leader starts shouting. During the Society period Music society puts music on air, Technical skill prepares for "Expo", would-be Newtons are born in Physics Society. Society hours are thus spent profitably. Thereafter we go for tea.

With the whistle games start in the fields. ‘Goal’! ‘Basket’! are the words heard by a visitor in the games arena of our college

The games are over. It’s the time now to go for prayer. We chuckle thinking over the ensuing "film show" going to be screened in the evening. Soon we go to the mosque, and after prayer we step out to rush towards the House and get ready for the dinner. We take our chicken dinner and soon get ourselves seated in the auditorium.

The last bell goes; "Lights off" ……….. The film is on, the charm of Saturday starts. The romantic queen of Saturday appears on her golden throne. Its power of enchantment is so great that it holds us spellbound despite all the tiring hazards throughout the week. It is like a bright gem in a dark cave to us. The film show is over, we go to our beds which bring an end to the coveted Saturday of our life in this college. Saturday is a moment of incentive for us to achieve the cherished goal of our college life.

Top of the page
Shahan Shah, 5/ 273
Saturdays in our college life – unforgettable events

5th intake joined JCC on 8th July 1968, we were considered a unique and lucky bunch as we found our great seniors of 1st intake in class 11 who were the leaders followed by our seniors of 2nd, 3rd and 4th intake. In the year 1969, we had then 6th intake as our junior, so the entire cohort was a blend of seniors and juniors, with multi-talented cadets. I still remember the first days, weeks and months of our college life vividly. While I was adjusting to the tough and regimental routine, picking up English and many other chores, it was also amusing to see the dynamic leaders of our 1st batch and all other seniors down to my ‘Locker partner’ from 4th intake, each assigned a leadership role. Time was passing sometimes with struggle, learning, developing but nevertheless those were the precious days of my life that made me what I am today. We can all write hundreds of pages on our college life and activities, but that’s not what I am going to write, rather I would recall the Saturdays in our college life. We were growing and adjusting to the different activities we had on each day of the week like Sunday dormitory inspection, Monday parade, Wednesday current affair speech and so on. Most of us will agree that Saturday was unique, a day we all looked forward to since it was packed with amusements and luxuries. By the time I was in class 10 and eyeing to enter the college football team, I was filled with excitement thinking of the football matches we had on Saturdays.

On Saturday after the usual morning PT and classes, the first adventure of the day started with Co-curricular activities in the afternoon. We had ‘Societies’ ranging from Arts and crafts, Literature, Music, Photography, Military science, band party and so many others offered to us to hone our creativity and gain avocation. We painted clay potteries which looked like works of painters, sang songs and played musical instruments with laughter, those in military science boasted about the war tactics and so on. The two-hour session seemed to pass very quickly and soon enough we would head to the dining hall for our afternoon snack which was usually mouthwatering ‘Nimki’ or ‘Samosa’ with tea.

Occasionally, a Football or Basketball match during Saturday afternoon raised our spirits high and was exciting.

Dinner on Saturdays in our time was a sumptuous meal and all would agree that it was the most craved dinner of the week. Dressed in white with tie and a smile on everybody’s faces, the atmosphere was more than just a dining hall away from home. I clearly remember the dinner menu which mostly consisted of ‘Peas Pulao’, ‘Chicken Korma’ or ‘Curry’, ‘Potato chop’. We couldn’t wait to start as soon as the Dining hall Leader announced ‘Bismillahir Rahman er Rahim’. One could easily tell by looking at the cadets how delicious the food was. I remember we were so focused on the food that at times we wouldn’t notice our principal, Late Col Rahman quietly standing behind and watching us. The last item desert used to be ‘Shahi Tukra’, it was so unique that I have yet to find such tasty ‘Shahi Tukra’ elsewhere. After 50 years, I can still feel its taste and flavour. Did we ever think that behind this luxurious dinner was the hard work of our kitchen staff and the ever-caring team of ‘Bhuiya’ bhai, who we all shall always remain indebted to. Many of them have left this world and the least we can do is to keep them in our prayers.

Following the dinner was the most interesting event of the day, movie time. We would rush to the auditorium to get a better seat, but in discipline. Without fail, there would be a movie screening every Saturday either in English, Hindi or Bengali. Starting from war movies like, ‘Bridge on the river Kawaii’ to Bengali heart-breaking drama ‘Harano Shur’, acted by the legendary romantic couple Uttam-Shuchitra which was so touchy and emotional that I recall one of my classmates seated next to me breaking down to tears and crying aloud, we watched a wide variety of movies on Saturdays.

Looking back after all these years, I am sure we all remember our Saturdays in JCC, the routines and events so vividly which we will carry in our memories till our last breath.

Top of the page
Ekram Kabir, 15/ 857
বাবা-মা চিরদিনই বাবা-মা

আমার বাবা ঝিনাইদাহ ক্যাডেট কলেজের পদার্থবিদ্যার শিক্ষক ছিলেন। শিক্ষক হিসেবে তাঁর অবদান আমার জীবনে অনেক। তবে তাঁকে আজ শিক্ষক-রূপে চেনাতে চাইছি না। বাবা-রূপে চাইছি।

আমরা যখন খেলতাম তিনিও প্রায়ই আমাদের মাঝে থাকতেন, খেলতেন। বেশ কয়েকটি খেলায় তিনিও খুব ভাল ছিলেন। ডিউটি মাস্টারদের ক্যাডেটদের মাঝে থাকতেই হত। শুধু সে কারণেই তিনি আমার আশে-পাশে ঘোরাঘুরি করতেন তা নয়। তিনি কাছে থাকতেন তাঁর ছেলে খেলছে বলেও। ব্যপারটি আমি প্রথম টের পাই দশম শ্রেনীতে পড়ার সময়।

আন্তঃহাউস বাস্কেটবল প্রতিযোগিতা চলছে। আমি খেলছি। তিনিও আছেন মাঠের কিনারে। খেলতে খেলতে হঠাৎ টের পেলাম যে আমার বাবাও আমার শারীরিক নড়াচড়ার সাথে তাল মিলিয়ে তাঁর শরীরও নড়াচ্ছেন। মনে হচ্ছে আমি নয়, তিনিই আমার হয়ে খেলছেন। কিছুদিন পর ভলিবল। মাঠের কিনারে তিনি। এই খেলায় অনেক উঁচুতে লাফিয়ে উঠে নেটের ওপর দিয়ে চাপ মারার একটি ব্যপার ছিল। আবিস্কার করলাম যে আমি চাপ মারতে গেলে তিনিও মাঠের পাশে দাঁড়িয়ে চাপ মারার একটি ভঙ্গিমা করতেন। আমার বন্ধুদের কাছে কানতে চাইলাম আমার বাবা আসলে কেমন ভঙ্গিমা করেন। তারা জানালো তিনি এ কাজটি খুবই আবেগের সাথে করেন। মনে হয় তিনি যেন তাঁর শক্তিটুকুও তাঁর সন্তানের মাঝে চালনা দিতে চান। আমার একটি ছবি আছে যেখানে আমি বর্ষা নিক্ষেপ করছি। ছবিতে তাঁকেও দেখা যাচ্ছে। পাশে দাঁড়িয়ে আছেন। শুধু দাঁড়িয়ে নয়; তিনি তাঁর শরীর বাঁকিয়ে আমার বর্ষা ছোঁড়ার সাথে তাল মেলাচ্ছেন। পরিষ্কার বোঝা যাচ্ছে তিনি চাইছেন তাঁর ছেলে যেন আরো জোরে ছুঁড়তে পারে তাই মানসিক ভাবে তাঁর শক্তিটুকুও আমার মাঝে বইয়ে দিতে চাইছেন।

ব্যপারটি আমার কাছে এত ভাল লাগতো যে এই ইদ্রীস স্যার কাছে থাকলে আমার মনোবল দ্বিগুন হয়ে যেত। হয়তো বাবা বলেই তা হত। বুঝতাম বাবা-মায়ের মানসিক সমর্থন সন্তানের জন্য প্রচন্ড একটি শক্তি যা তাদের কাজেও প্রতিফলিত হয়। আমার বাবা যে আমায় তাঁর মানসিক বল আমার মাঝে পুরে দিতেন তা আমি সারাজীবন টের পেয়েছি। আমার বন্ধুর বাবাদেরও আমি লক্ষ্য করেছি। তারাও একই ভাবে তাঁদের মানসিক শক্তি তাদের সন্তানদের মাঝে রোপণ করার চেষ্টা করতেন। অবশ্য এক-এক জনের ধরন ছিল এক-এক রকম।

আমি যখন পড়াশোনায় বা খেলাধুলায় খুব ভাল করতাম, স্পষ্ট বুঝতে পারতাম বাবা মাথা উঁচু করে হাঁটতেন। আমার সার্থকতা যেন তাঁরই। কোন কিছু না পারলে তাঁর মন খারাপ হত।

অনেক কাল পর আমি নিজে যখন বাবা হয়েছি, আমি একই রকম করে আমার সন্তানদের মাঝে আমার মনের শক্তিটুকু তাদের অজান্তেই তাদের মাঝে চালনা করে দিই। এই মানসিক বলের খেলাটি সারাদিনমান চলতে থাকে। এই শক্তি প্রচ্ছন্ন ভাবে বোঝা যায় না; একটু খেয়াল করলে বোঝা যায়। আমার স্ত্রী যখন আমাদের সন্তানদের ধরে দোয়া পড়ে তাদের কপালে ফুঁ দেয়, তখন আমার মন থেকেও একটি ফুঁ তাদের উদ্দেশে বেরিয়ে যায়; তারা টের পায় না; আমার স্ত্রীও না।

বাবা-মায়ের দোয়া করার প্রথা শুধু একটি যুগের মধ্যে আবদ্ধ নয়। হাজার বছর আগেও ছিল, হাজার বছর পরও থাকবে। এ এক আশ্চর্য সম্পর্ক। এ এক চিরকালীন সম্পর্ক!

বাবা আমায় খুব বেশি শাষন করতেন না। তিনি জানতেন যে আমি হয়তো তাঁর বেশির ভাগ উপদেশই শুনব না। তাই অনেক কথা তিনি আমার বন্ধুদের মাধ্যমে আমায় জানাতেন। তবে আমি আশা করতাম তিনি যেন আমায় সরাসরি বলেন।

আমরা দু-ভাই যখন বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ে পড়ি, বাবা তখন ঢাকার মোহাম্মাদপুর প্রিপারেটরী স্কুলের অধ্যক্ষ। স্কুলের ভবন তোলার দ্বায়িত্য তাঁর হাতে। এক রাতে খবর এল কারা যেন ভবন নির্মাণের জন্য রাখা ইট চুরি করে নিয়ে যাচ্ছে। বাবা তখনই ছুটলেন। আমরা দু-ভাই তাঁকে থামিয়ে বললাম, "আপনি একা যাবেন না; আমরাও যাব; কেউ যানে না সেখা কি অপেক্ষা করছে"। বাবার চেহারায় এমন একটি তৃপ্তি উদ্ভাসিত হল যে তা বলে বোঝানো যাবে না। তাঁর পাশে হাঁটতে পেরে দু-ভাইয়ের জীবন সার্থক মনে হয়েছিল।

আরেকটি গল্প বলি। আমি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের দ্বিতীয় বর্ষে। বই পড়তাম অনেক। একবার ১৪০০ পৃষ্ঠার একটি ইংরেজী উপন্যাস শুরু করেছি। এত ভাল লাগছিল যে বাড়ি থেকে কোথাও বেরুচ্ছিলাম না। ক্লাসেও যাচ্ছিলাম না। ঘুম নেই, শুধু খাওয়া-দাওয়া করছিলাম আর পড়ছিলাম। এভাবেই তিনদিন-তিনরাত কাটিয়েছি। বাবা ফজরের নামাজ পড়তে উঠে দেখতেন আমি পড়ছি, আপিসে যাওয়ার সময় দেখতেন আমি পড়ছি, আপিস থেকে ফিরে দেখতেন আমি পড়ছি। তিনদিনের মাথায় তিনি আর সহ্য করতে পারলেন না। বললেন, "তুমি যাও তো; বাইরে থেকে বেড়িয়ে এস; তোমায় সারাদিন পড়তে দেখতে আর ভাল লাগছে না"। তিনি আমায় বুঝিয়েছিলেন যে তিনি বিরক্ত, তবে তার চেহারা দেখা বুঝেছিলাম আমার পড়া দেখে তিনি একটি অন্যরকম সুখ পেয়েছিলেন।

আমি হেসে, বই বন্ধ করে বাইরে ঘুরতে গিয়েছিলাম!

মা অবশ্য চাইতেন আমি বাড়িতেই থাকি; বই নিয়েই থাকি। তাঁর কাছে এসে বইটি পড়ি। মাঝে-মাঝে করতামও তাই। তিনি যখন হেঁসেল ঘরে ব্যস্ত, আমি দরজায় পিড়ি নিয়ে বসে পড়তাম; তাঁর ভাল লাগতো।

মায়ের কথাতো বলে শেষ করা যাবে না। পৃথিবীর কোটি-কোটি সন্তানের কাছে জানতে চাইলেই সবাই একবাক্যে বলবে যে তাদের মায়েরা তাদের সবচেয়ে প্রিয়, জীবনে মায়ের অবদান সবচেয়ে বেশি, মা ই সবচেয়ে বেশি ভালবেসেছেন। এর চেয়ে বড় সত্য আর পৃথিবীতে দু-টি নেই।

বাবাকে এক-এক জন এক-এক রকম করে পেলেও, মাকে সবাই ঠিক একভাবেই পায়। তাঁদের কোন রকমফের নেই। মা চিরন্তন। মায়ের কথা মনে হলেই মনের ভেতর একটি গান ঘুরপাক খেতে থাকেঃ "মায়ের একধার দুধের দাম, কাটিয়া গায়ের চাম, পাপোশ বানাইলেও ঋণের শোধ হবে না, এমন দরদী ভবে কেউ হবে না আমার মা, মা গো " । বাড়ি ফিরতে রাত হলে, বাবা না খেয়ে, রাত জেগে বসে অপেক্ষা নাও করতে পারেন, তবে মা এ ব্যপারে অবিচল; সন্তান বাড়ি আসবে, তারপর তাঁর শান্তি। সন্তানের প্রতিটি কাজের সঙ্গে মায়ের প্রচ্ছন্ন অবদান।

মনে পড়ে ১৯৮৪-৮৫ সালের কথা। উচ্চ-মাধ্যমিক পরীক্ষা পাশ করে বিভিন্ন বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ে পরিক্ষা দিয়ে বেড়াচ্ছি। বাবা তখন দেশে নেই, নাইজেরিয়ায় গেছেন চাকরি নিয়ে। আমরা থাকি আমাদের নানাবাড়ি কুষ্টিয়ায়। আমি একাই সব স্থানে যেতে পারি - ঢাকা, রাজশাহী, জাহাঙ্গীরনগর। কিন্তু মা আমায় একা ছাড়েন নি। তিনি এই সবগুলো স্থানে আমায় নিয়ে গেছেন। নিজের উচ্চ-মাধ্যমিক পরীক্ষা আর দেয়া হয় নি, কিন্তু ছেলের ভর্তি পরীক্ষার জন্য তিনি সারা দেশ চষে বেড়িয়েছেন। এখন বুঝি তিনি তখন আমার আবার দায়িত্ব পালন করেছিলেন।

আমরা যে সময়টিতে বেড়ে উঠছিলাম তখন আমাদের মায়েদের সংসারে সরাসরি অর্থনৈতিক অবদান রাখার সুযোগ অনেক কম ছিল। তাঁদের বেশিরভাগই হোম-ম্যানেজমেন্টে ব্যস্ত থাকতেন। আমার বাবা ক্যাডেট কলেজের শিক্ষক হওয়ায় তাঁর সংসার চালাতে বেশ কষ্ট হত। পালা-পার্বনে আমারদের জন্য নতুন কাপড় কিনতে পারতেন না। আমাদের বাড়ির আঙ্গিনাতেই বাবা সব রকমের শাক-সব্জি ফলাতেন। সেই শাক-সব্জি আমার মা প্রতিবেশিদের কাছে বাজারের চেয়ে কম মূল্যে বিক্রি করে আমাদের জন্য নতুন কাপড়ের ব্যবস্থা করতেন।

এখন ব্যাপারটি আমার মনে হলেই মন আনন্দে ভরে যায়। কে বলেছে আমার মায়ের সরাসরি অবদান ছিল না? এ বুদ্ধিটিতো বাবার মাথায় আসে নি!

আজকাল আমার কেন যেন মনে হয় আধুনিক বাবা-মা তাঁদের সন্তানদের বন্ধুদের সাথে খুব বেশি চেনেশোনা নেই। ছেলেমেয়েও খুব একটা তাদের বন্ধুদের সাথে মা-বাবার পরিচয় করিয়ে দেয় না। আমাদের সময় ব্যাপারটি ছিল একেবারেই অন্যরকম। আমাদের বন্ধুদের বাবা-মা; বিশেষ করে মায়ের সাথে আমাদের ছিল অতল পরিচয়। বন্ধুর মা আমাদের সাথে নিজের মায়ের মত আচরণ করতেন, নিজের মায়ের মত শাসন করতেন। আমরা বন্ধুর বাড়ি গিয়ে কখনও ড্রইং-রুমে বসতাম না। হয় বন্ধুর ঘরে, না হয় বন্ধু বাড়ি না থাকলে তার মায়ের সাথে একেবারে হেঁসেল ঘরে, যেখানে মা রান্নার কাজে ব্যস্ত। হেঁসেলে পিড়ি পেতে বসলেই বন্ধুর মায়ের রান্নার কড়াই থেকে খাবার উঠিয়ে খেয়েছি কতবার তার ইয়ত্তা নেই। বন্ধুর মা যাবতীয় ঘর-সংসারের আলাপ আমাদের সাথে করতেন। এই ঘর-সংসারের আলাপের একটি বড় প্রভাব আমাদের জীবনে পড়েছে তা আমরা এখন টের পাই।

ক্যাডেট কলেজ যখন ছুটি হত; আমার বন্ধুরা যারা ঢাকা-চট্টগ্রাম যাবে তারা খুব সকাল-সকাল চলে যেত, কিন্তু যারা যশোর, খুলনা, কুষ্টিয়া-চুয়াডাঙ্গা ও ইশ্বরদি যাবে তারা সবাই আমাদের বাড়ি এসে ভিড় করতো আমার মায়ের হাতের রান্না খাবে এবং বাড়ির পরিবেশে আড্ডা মেরে তারপর রওয়ানা দেবে। মা তৈরীই থাকতেন। বন্ধুদের জন্য নানা রকমের পিঠা-পুলি, পরাটা-মাংস বানিয়ে রাখতেন। মা এমনটা বহুবার ক্যাডেট কলেজে প্যারেন্টস্ ডে-তেও করেছেন। আমার বন্ধুদের অনেকের বাবা-মায়ের প্যারেন্টস্ ডে-তে ছেলেকে দেখতে আসা সবসময় সম্ভব হত না। মা তাদের জন্যেও প্রচুর খাবার-দাবার বানিয়ে আমায় দেখতে আসতেন।

মাকে নিয়ে শুধু আনন্দের কথাই বলে যাচ্ছি। তিনি আমায় অনেকবার অনেক কষ্টের সমুদ্র পাড়ি দিয়ে সাহায্য করেছেন, সে কথাগুলো আজ বলবো না। সেগুলো আরেক দিনের জন্য রেখে দিলাম। কিংবা হয়তো বলবোই না।

বাবা কি মা, তাদের দু-জনের আবেগ এবং সন্তানদের আগলে রাখার পন্থা আমাদের কাছে দু-রকম মনে হতে পারে, কিন্তু তাঁরা দু-জনেই সন্তানের জন্যই বাঁচেন, উপার্জন করেন, কষ্ট করেন তাঁদের নিজেদের জন্য নয়।

তাঁদের অবদান যে নিঃস্বার্থ তা আমরা সময়কালে বুঝি না, সময় শেষ হলে বুঝি।

Posted in MemoriesTagged ইকরাম কবীর, একেএম ইদ্রীস হোসেন, বাবা, বাবা-মা, বাবার ভালবাসা, মা, মায়ের ভালবাসা, লায়লা হোসেন

Top of the page
Reza, 13/ 777
College days

Happenings of our time

নিয়াজ ভাই
সালাম। আমরা সেভেন্থ ইনটেককে বেশিদিন পাইনি। এইট্থ ইনটেকের নেতৃত্বে বেশি গার্ডেনিং করেছি।

কলেজে ঢুকার পরপর ঠিক প্রথম রোববার থেকেই আমাদের খায়বার হাউজের গার্ডেনে ঢোকানো হয় যখন অন্য দুই হাউজের বন্ধুরা মাঠে ফুটবল বা ক্রিকেট খেলেছে।

এই গার্ডেনিং এর সাথে আমাদের বহু কান্না জড়িত আছে। গার্ডেনিংটা আসলে সোসাইটির মতো ঐচ্ছিক থাকলে ভালো হতো। অর্থাৎ যার ইচ্ছে ফটোগ্রাফি সে ফটোগ্রাফি নিবে আর যার ইচ্ছে গার্ডেনিং নিবে।

শিশু বয়সে খেলার সময় বা রোববার সকালে ছুটির দিন বলপূর্বক গার্ডেনিং করানো অনকটা শিশুদের প্রতি শারীরিক ও মানসিক নির্যাতনের মতো ছিল। নাঙ্গল বা ট্রাক্টরের পরিবর্তে ক্লাশ সেভেন এইটকে দিয়ে মাটি কুপিয়ে গার্ডেন বড় করে চ্যাম্পিয়ন হওয়াটা আমার কাছে প্রাগৈতিহাসিক দাসত্বের মতো মনে হোত। শিশু বয়সে ক্লাশ সেভেনে কোদাল দিয়ে মাটি কোপানো সহজ কাজ নয়, হাতে ফোস্কা পড়ে রক্ত বের হোত। এই কঠোর কাজটার জন্য জন মজুর নেওয়া উচিত ছিল।

ডায়রি ফার্ম থেকে কাঁচা গোবর হাতে, বালতিতে করে আনা ছিল আরেকটা মানসিক কষ্টের বিষয়। খায়বার হাউজের পিছনে যে পুকুর ছিল মাঝেমধ্যে সে পুকুরের ফাইবার বোটটা পেতাম। বোটে করে আমাদের ওপারের ডায়রি ফার্ম থেকে গোবর আনতে হোত। শুকনা গোবর তবুও চলে সেভেন বা এইটকে দিয়ে কাঁচা গোবর আনানোর সিদ্বান্তটা ঠিক ছিল কিনা এটা সিনিয়রদের বা স্যারদের চিন্তা করা উচিত ছিল।🤔

অনেকেই কলেজে আসার আগে থেকেই কৃষি কাজের সাথে অভ্যস্ত ছিল। তারা মনোযোগ দিয়ে গার্ডেনিং করত, আমরা কাজ করতে না চাইলে আমাদের নামে কমপ্লেইন করে পানিশমেন্ট খাওয়াত।😀

এই গার্ডেনিংটা করাটা খায়বার হাউজে শেষের দিকে এমন রাজনৈতিক পর্যায়ে চলে গিয়েছিল যে লিডারশিপ পেতে অনেকেই ক্লাশ টেন-ইলাভেনে পারলে সারাদিন হাউজ গার্ডেনে পড়ে থাকত সিনিয়র বা স্যারদের নজরে পড়ার জন্য। কেউ কেউ গার্ডেনে জায়গা না পেয়ে লনে ফুলের গাছ লাগাত যেটা কলেজে সাধারণত মালিরা করে থাকেন।😆

কলেজে গার্ডেনিং এর বাইরে আরো দুইটা নির্যাতন মূলক কাজ কলেজে করেছিঃ
১) মসজিদের পাশ থেকে ইট মাথায় বা হাতে করে শিশু কুঞ্জে দিয়ে আসতে হোত। ঐ ইট দিয়ে শিশুকুঞ্জ তৈরি হয়।

২) গেমসের বা বিভিন্ন কম্পিটিশনের সময় মাথায় করে অডিটরিয়াম থেকে স্টিলের চেয়ার আনতে হোত। পরে আবার অডিটোরিয়ামে দিয়ে আসতে হোত।

শুনেছি কলেজের সুমতি হয়েছে, ক্লাশ সেভেন এইটকে এই চেয়ার টানাটানির কাজ এখন আর করতে হয় না।😃

এখন আমাদের একটা ছাদ বাগান আছে। অনেক ফলমূল এবং তরিতরকারি হয়। বাসার সবাই ওখানে যায় কিন্তু কলেজের তিক্ত অভিজ্ঞতার পর আমি সযত্নে এড়িয়ে চলি।🤣😁😂

Top of the page
Badrul Alam Khan, 1/ 29
ঝিনেদা ক্যাডেট কলেজ - কয়েক টুকরো জীবননামা

বদরুল আলম খান, ১/২৯

যশোর শহর থেকে ঝিনেদা ক্যাডেট কলেজ ৬০ কিলোমিটার দূরে । কলেজের সামনে পিচ ঢালা চওড়া হাইওয়ে কুষ্টিয়া গিয়ে শেষ হয়েছে । একশ মিটার দূরত্বে কলেজের দুটি নিরাপত্তা গেট । কলেজ ক্যাম্পাসের বিশাল এলাকা উচু দেয়াল দিয়ে ঘেরা, এরই অভ্যন্তরে শিক্ষক কর্মচারী আর ছাত্রদের আবাসিক ঘরবাড়ি, ক্লাস রুম, প্রশাসনিক ভবন । কর্নেল মঞ্জুরুর রাহমান আমাদের কলেজের প্রিন্সিপ্যাল । তাকে কড়া অনুশাসনের মানুষ বললে সম্পূর্ণ বলা হয় না । সামরিক বাহিনীর শিক্ষা কোর থেকে সদ্য এসেছেন, চুল ব্যাক ব্রাশ করা, চোখে ভারি চশমা, তার অন্তর্ভেদী দৃষ্টির ভয়ংকরতা তা দিয়ে ঢেকে রাখা কঠিন । গোটা ক্যাম্পাস তার ভয়ে তটস্থ । কখন, কীভাবে, কোথা থেকে হাজির হবেন কেউ জানবে না । তবে একটি সুত্র, নিজে জানতেন কিনা জানি না, ঠিকই রেখে যেতেন । কিউবান চুরুটের গন্ধ পেলে বুঝতে হবে তিনি আশ পাশে কোথাও না কোথাও আছেন । সুন্দরবনে বাঘের উপস্থিতি নিরীক্ষণ করার মতো এ ছিল এক দারুন অভিজ্ঞতা ।

কলেজ প্রাচীরের ওদিকে তাকালে গ্রাম বাংলার রূপ, সুদুর প্রান্ত জুড়ে আম জাম খেজুরের বিচিত্র সমাবেশ । জানালার কাচ ভেদ করে পরনে জরাজীর্ণ প্যান্ট, হেঁটে যাওয়া বালক বালিকার দৃশ্য দেখতে পাই । তাদের বেশভুষায় দারিদ্রের প্রকট ছাপ । বইগুলি বগল দাবা করে প্রচুর শব্দের ঢেউ তুলে তারা তাদের প্রাতকালীন যাত্রা শুরু করে, এটিই তাদের রুটিন । কলেজের পাশের গ্রাম থেকে আসা একজন দারোয়ান আমাদের হোস্টেলের সামনে বসে পাহারা দিতেন, তার বয়স হয়েছে, দেহটাও মেদবহুল, গায়ের রঙ নিকষ কালো । অশীতিপর হলেও সাদা গেঞ্জি গায়ে চড়িয়ে সারা বেলা চাচামিয়া বসে কাটাতেন, মুখ চাপা দাড়িতে পরিপূর্ণ । দাড়ির ঘনত্ব আর বিস্তৃতির প্রতি আকর্ষিত হয়ে তাকে কার্ল মার্কস ডাকতাম । একদিন অভিযোগের সুরে বললেন, "স্যার ওরা আমাকে কালা মাছ বলে কেন" ?
চাচামিয়ার গ্রাম নিয়ে অনেকের মনে ঔৎসুক্য ছিল বিশেষ করে আমাদের দুই বন্ধুর । একদিনের কথা বলি । রাত গভীর হয়েছে । সবাই যার যার বিছানায় শায়িত ।
- "এই ওঠ, সময় হয়েছে" । দুই বন্ধু অতি সন্তর্পণে ডরমিটরি থেকে বের হল । শীতের নিশিত রাত । সামনে ডাইনিং হল । সিঁদকাটা চোরের মতো পাচিরের ধারে এসে পৌছাল । এবার টপকাতে হবে । প্রথম বন্ধু : "এই, আমার পেছন দিয়ে পুশ কর" । কাঁচা রাস্তা, কিছুদূর হাটতেই বিস্তীর্ণ মাঠ । সারি সারি খেজুর গাছ । ছোট একটি গাছের কাছে যেতেই চোখে পড়লো ঝুলন্ত ভাঁড় । "নে, এবার গাছে ওঠ, জলদি কর" । খেজুরের রস কানায় কানায় । দুই বন্ধু ভাঁড় নিয়ে হলে ফিরে এলো । কমন রুমে আলোর সামনে আসতেই চক্ষু ছানা বড়া । "আরে একি ! রসের মধ্যে ওগুলো কি"? হ্যা তো, পোকা মনে হচ্ছে"? কি করা ? দুই জনেরই মস্তিষ্ক উর্বর, নিমেষে বুদ্ধি চলে এলো । ডরমিটরিতে ইতিমধ্যে নাসিকা গর্জন চলছে । "তুই বাইরে দাড়া, আমি ব্যবস্থা করছি" । পাশের বিছানার ঝুলন্ত মশারি, তার অর্ধেক কাটা শেষ । রস ছেকা হলো, নিমিষে তা গলধক্কন । সকাল হয়েছে । ঘুম থেকে উঠতেই ডরমিটরিতে হই হই রই রই কাণ্ড । মশারির এই দশা করলো কে ?

মনে আছে, কলেজের ফুটবল টিম একবার স্থানীয় কেশব চন্দ্র কলেজে খেলতে গেছে । আমাদের মধ্যে চরম উত্তেজনা । চার দেওয়ালের বাধা ধরা গণ্ডি থেকে বের হওয়ার আনন্দের সাথে আরও ছিল বাইরের কলেজকে এক হাত দেখে নেওয়ার আগাম তৃপ্তি । খেলা শুরু হলো । পাশে বসা সহপাঠী আমার দিকে তাকিয়ে বলল, "ও কে সি কলেজ ? ওটা আবার কলেজ হলো ?" খেলা শেষে ২/১ গোলে হার । আমাদের প্রিন্সিপাল সাহেবের মুখ শুকিয়ে কাঠ । খেলার কথাই যদি বলি তাহলে আর একটি গল্প বলি । আমাদের কলেজের বাস্কেটবল টিম মোমেনশাহী খেলতে গেছে । খেলার পর্ব শেষ । কলেজের আশ পাশে সান্ধ্য আড্ডা চলছে । টিমের একজন প্লেয়ার, মাথায় ভিন্ন পরিকল্পনা । সতীর্থকে ফিস ফিস করে কি যেন বলল । পাশে কলেজের ধোপার মোটর বাইক । ভট ভট আওয়াজ হল । নিমেষে অন্তর্ধান ! টাঙ্গাইল শহর ।

"এই যে ভাই, কি মিষ্টি বানিয়েছেন আজ ?" " স্যার, জিলাপি, রসগোল্লা, কালোজাম, রস মালাই আছে । ভালো হবে" । পেট ভরে রসগোল্লা খেয়ে আয়েসের সাথে দুজন ফিরে এলো । এবার টিমের সাথে কলেজে ফেরার পালা । পৌছতেই হাউজ টিউটর ডেকে বললেন "যাও, প্রিন্সিপাল কলেজ হসপিটালে থাকার আদেশ করেছেন" । দুই দিন না যেতেই বাবার ডাক পড়লো । বাবা এলেন । আদেশ এলো কলেজে থাকা চলবে না । বাসায় ফিরে মা বাবার বকানি । লেখাপড়ার কি হবে তা নিয়েও অসস্থি । ঢাকা ক্যান্টনমেন্ট থেকে খবর এলো সেখানে হাজির হতে হবে । বন্ধু ড্রেস পরে বড় সালাম ঠুকে মেজর জেনারেল মুকিম খানের সামনে দাঁড়ালো । "স্যার আইনভঙ্গ করেছি । কানে ধরছি, আর করবো না" । এ যাত্রায়ও বৈতরণী পার !

কলেজে অভিভাবক দিবস, আমাদের বাবা মা ভাই বোনেরা এসেছেন অনেক দিন পর, আমাদের সাথে দেখা করতে । প্রিঞ্চিপাল সাহেব ঘুরে গেছেন । এবার বিদায়ের পালা । সালেকুজ্জামানের বাবা পুত্রের হাতে একটি পোটলা তুলে দিল । "যাও বাবা, এটা দিনে এক বার করে খেয়ো । শরীর ভালো থাকবে" । পুত্র পোটলা নিয়ে কাপবার্ডে যত্ন করে রেখে দিল । বন্ধুর নজর কিন্তু এড়িয়ে গেলো না । "মাহবুব, ঐ পোটলায় কি জানিস?" সালেকুজ্জামান এদিকে ওয়াশ রুমে । "নে খোল", হরলিক্সের কৌটা নিমিষে অর্ধেক । সালেকুজ্জামান ফিরে এলো । রাগে কৌটা আছাড় মেরে মেঝেতে ফেললো । ধূর্ত বন্ধুর কিছু এসে গেলো না । মেঝে থেকে তুলে সবটুকু উদরস্থ হল কাল বিলম্ব না করে ।

কর্নেল রহমানের কথা দিয়ে শেষ করি । তার মতো দক্ষ প্রশাসক আজ পর্যন্ত একজনকে দেখিনি । কাক ডাকা ভোরে বের হতেন । পরিধানে সাদা প্যান্ট, সাদা শার্ট আর সাদা কেটস । প্রথমে কলেজের ডাইনিং হল পরিদর্শন করবেন, ব্রেকফাস্ট সম্পর্কে খোজ, রুটিন করে ড্রিল দেখা, সবার পোশাক ঠিক আছে কিনা খুঁটিয়ে খুঁটিয়ে পরীক্ষা করে তারপর নিজ গৃহে প্রত্যাবর্তন । ব্রেকফাস্ট খাওয়ার ফাকে নাকে চিরপরিচিত চুরুটের গন্ধ, তিনি হাজির হয়েছেন, যাকে বলে একেবারে ঝটিকা আগমন । খাবারের মান চেখে দেখে পরীক্ষা করছেন আর আমরা সবাই বিস্ময়াবিষ্ট হয়ে তাকিয়ে আছি । লেখাপড়ার ব্যাপারে তার ঠিকরানো উৎসুক্যের গভীর মাধুর্য ভোলার নয় । অসীম ধৈর্য নিয়ে সবার প্রতি খেয়াল রাখতেন । কলেজে পরীক্ষার ফল প্রকাশ পেলে বহুবার তার মনের অপরিসীম আনন্দ জল্প্রপাতের মতো ঝরে পড়তে দেখেছি ।

একদিন, কোন এক কাল মুহূর্তে পার্শ্ববর্তী গ্রামের মুক্তিযোদ্ধারা তাকে অনেকটা জোর করেই এক মিটিঙে নিয়ে গেল । খবরটি যশোর ক্যান্টনমেন্টের সদর দপ্তরে পৌঁছাতে বিলম্ব হলো না । ১৮ এপ্রিল ১৯৭১ সালের পড়ন্ত বিকেলে প্রিন্সিপালের বাসগৃহের সামনে দুটি মিলিটারি জিপ জোরে ব্রেক কষে দাঁড়ালো । জিপ থেকে পাকিস্তানি মেজর নামলেন, সাথে কয়েকজন সেপাই । আমাদের প্রিন্সিপ্যালও নেমে এলেন । মেজর সাহেব বলেছিলেন, "স্যার আপনার সামনে দুটি পথ খোলা আছে । আপনি জীবন নিয়ে পালাতে পারেন । অথবা আপনাকে গুলির আদেশ রয়েছে" । প্রিন্সিপ্যাল সাহেব পালিয়ে যাননি । ক্যাপ্টেনকে উদ্দেশ্য করে তিনি বলেছিলেন, "আই ডোন্ট এবান্ডান মাই কলেজ জাস্ট লাইক দিস "। তার চিরশয্যা আবাসস্থলের পাশেই বরাদ্দ হয়েছিল । সেই শয্যার গায়ে এপিটাফ হিসেবে জীবনের শেষ সেই কথাগুলি লেখা আছে । পাকিস্তানি বাহিনীর ক্যাপ্টেন এবার ছাত্র হোস্টেলে গেলেন । সেখানে বাংলার অধ্যাপক এ হালিম খানের সাময়িক আবাসস্থল । তাকেও ঘর থেকে টেনে বের করে গুলি করলো । আজ অনেক বছর পর ভেবেছি, জীবনকে তারা এতো সহজ করে কীভাবে দেখেছিলেন ? কাপুরুষের মত প্রাণভিক্ষা চাননি । দেশপ্রেমে মোড়া সেই মনে অবিমিশ্যকারিতার কোন স্থান ছিল না । জানি না তাদের ভাগ্যে রাষ্ট্রীয় স্বীকৃতি এসেছিল কিনা । তবে না এলেও ক্ষতি নেই । সেই সুপরিচিত মুখগুলি প্রায়শ মনের পর্দায় ভেসে ওঠে । অতীতের সেই মুহূর্তগুলি আমার ধ্যানে আজও টিকে আছে, মনের একেবারে গভীরে । ক্যাডেট জীবনের কোন স্মৃতিই হারাবার নয় ।

Top of the page
Mahmud Ali , 1/ 42
From Project JCC to Jhenidah Cadet College

Mahmud Ali, 1/42

In 1963, as the preparations for launching the country's second military school, Jhenidah Cadet College (JCC), built up steam, my father was appointed to the school's faculty. Later in the year I learnt my own efforts to secure a place in the first batch of cadets selected to join the institution had been successful. However, as the JCC "project" had a fairly long gestation period, we had to wait until early-1964 before staff quarters were ready and we could move in. When I arrived at the JCC campus, a few short months before the College formally opened to the very first intake of my fellow-cadets, the quadrangle was a large swathe of muddy, swampy and largely overgrown recently-cultivated plots. Of course, the JCC boundary wall, patrolled every night by an army of khaki-clad and stave-wielding guards, effectively separated these 100-odd acres from the low-lying rice paddies surrounding the establishment, and promised a very different world to be fashioned for the future of the nation's human potential. That particular promise lay in the distant future as we made home in the insect-filled corner of the campus close to the main gate leading off what became the Jessore-Kushtia highway.

Very slowly, white and beige-coloured buildings took shape. Amid a cluster of bungalows housing the faculty, around a rarely-used tennis court, only the Principal's quarters were a two-storied house. Then, parts of the Academic Block, Badr House, the Dining Hall, and other staff quarters in the campus' opposite corner took shape, raising their heads in an incongruously urban prophecy of transforming a bucolic emerald sea of rice and jute. By the time the inaugural batch of cadets arrived and took up residence in Badr House, workers had drained and levelled the rice paddies to form the very early stages of football, rugby and cricket pitches, and delivered the promise of an even brighter sportsmanlike future. Of course, the cadets arrived in the middle of the monsoon season when rains and thunder-storms occasionally rendered active physical engagement impossible. We were then assigned to prepare the narrow Badr House 'garden' lying between the hostel's ground-floor verandah and the main campus road for planting grasses and flower-beds by more professional gardeners.

The cadets' days were busy - starting with an early reveille, getting dressed for what was described as physical training. This entailed learning the basics of working in small squads, drilling and marching like toy-soldiers, running in groups and obeying orders barked out by Army NCOs. This was a totally new world for most of us. Meals were taken in the Dining Hall behind Badr House, at tables seating around ten cadets while some faculty-members sat at the "High Table" with several of the Prefects. We marched to the Academic Block for the morning Assembly and lessons, marching back to the House and Dining Hall area for milk breaks and lunch. After lunch, the mandatory rest-period proved most tiresome as many of us simply could not doze off in the bright, hot, afternoon. Some of us wandered off. Ansar (1/10) and I were often caught by the Duty Master, usually Mr David Dewari, and sent off on punishment drills. The most frequent patron of the "punishment dril" routine was Imdad (1/35), frequently seen running round a circular track under the watchful eyes of an Army NCO. I suspect he enjoyed running sweaty circuits in the field much more than trying to sleep after lunch.

On Wednesday afternoons, we attended religious lessons in one wing of the Dining Hall, temporarily converted into a prayer hall. The religious teacher was especially outraged at a
few laggards who failed to appreciate the beauty of the Arabic script and wasted everyone's time by playing silly games. Mollah Iqbal (1/8), Feroz A.K. Fazlul Halim (1/3) and yours truly featured in this rather disgraceful band, often seen being ordered to wriggle out of the window and stand in the noon-day Sun holding bricks in our upraised arms in punishment for our sins. Evenings were slightly better. Some of us had to be taught the intricacies of Maghrib prayers with only a handful of us managing to master the postural and linguistic details. Marching to the "prep-classes" was a bit like running the gauntlet as massed squadrons of large moths, drawn to the bright lights installed along the College Road at regular intervals, rose from the grasslands and paddies to dive-bomb on unsuspecting cadets. We squirmed and squealed but still tried to maintain our squad-discipline. Once in the safety of the class-rooms, some of us devoted ourselves to the serious intellectual labours our parents had sent us to school for.

But a few always dozed off after a tiring day while others found boisterous ways to entertain themselves, and others, by singing, getting into fights, or just sauntering about the large building. Of course, the Duty Master would usually catch a few such defaulters, put them in their place, or assign them to the next day's punishment drills. It was a miracle that most of us managed to learn a thing or two almost every day. After dinner, we had about an hour left to ourselves, the only truly free period. Some used the meagre common-room facilities to memorise stories from Time, Newsweek and the Readers' Digest for next morning's "current affairs" questions which followed the morning Assembly. Others huddled around the lone radio set trying to listen to film music broadcast by such stations as Radio Ceylon. A handful monopolised the table-tennis set while eager cadets waited impatiently for their slots before the day ended. A few of us gathered on the Badr House balcony to entertain ourselves musically until it was time and the Duty Cadet began shouting, "Lights Out! Lights Out!!"

Some kids cried in bed almost every night and it was very tough for them during the first couple of terms. I wasn't one of them, but I found myself in another small group of specially endowed cadets - the handful of bed-wetters. This did not happen every night - mercifully. But when it did, the next day, Mr Rouf, our first, and arguably the most effective and beloved House Tutor, would come down into the dormitory, go round the beds sniffing and with unerring accuracy, point to me - and a few others - just asking us to carry our mattresses to the roof next to his own quarters, and let the summer Sun do the trick, I often found myself in the company of my friend Shahjahan (1/2). Although a few others occasionally joined us, the two of us were the most consistent partners well into Class-VIII. I was truly grateful when this unwelcome routine ended well before the departure of Lt.Col. ND Hassan, our first Principal, and the arrival of Lt. Col. JSH Smitherman, our second.

Colonel Smitherman brought in a series of innovative changes, expanding the range of our experiences with newly-established clubs and societies which not only diverted minds but also brought cadets from one batch in close social contact with those from others. These extra-curricular activities ranged from participating in sections of the newly-formed cadets' pipe-and-drum band to the Duke of Edinburgh's outdoor challenges scheme. I truly sucked at sports; I not only failed to win any trophies in any field or track events in my six years at JCC, I succeeded in consistently bringing up the rear of the class in our annual six-mile cross country races while I was there. This made me particularly anxious to make my mark in a different field. The newly-formed cadets' bagpipe band promised fresh opportunities.

I was especially keen to become a bugler - bugles sounded so authoritatively defining at reveille and retreat that I was determined to master the appropriate skill-set. My instructor was an Army Corporal named Qubbat Khan (or thereabouts). He had trained as a professional bugler in the Army and took great pride in his craft. Like all soldiers, he acted a bit like a stiff robot and I found his movements rather funny. My failure to contain laughter when he was sharing his most cherished bugling insights so angered him that I was thrown out of his circle on the first day. I then tried drumming. Tenor drums looked attractive and when other kids were doing so well with them, I felt confident I could, too. Our instructor, Army Havildar Hafiz, almost as diminutive as I am, was a firebrand soldier. He saw through my efforts to fit into the musical fraternity as insincere and threw me out on my second day. I then befriended Ismail (1/14), the Bagpipe-Major-designate and a master of the octopus-like Scottish instrument. Ismail tried his best to impart his wisdom on skirling music and then handed me over to Havildar Hafiz of the drumming episode. Ustad Hafiz tried to teach me Scottish tunes like Sky Blue (which he called "Sookai Bulue") and such like with Herculean determination and tenacity. Sadly, the noises emanating from my bagpipe convinced both of us that bagpipes were not my future. It was only then that Col. Smitherman took pity and invited me to join his model-train society fashioned around the massive and complex model-railway system he'd imported from the UK for our benefit.

I have to admit that it was not all fun and games in these first few years at the JCC. The early, tragic, untimely and accidental death of one of our fellow-cadets while travelling from Jessore Airport to the campus was a horrifying experience for everyone. Personally for me, the most memorable experience had to do with the establishment of the new library behind the large auditorium in the Academic Block. Mr Shafiq-ul-lah (later, Lt Colonel), our favourite Bengali teacher, who had studied the Dewey Decimal System of Classification at university, supervised the forging of this remarkable collection of books, to which I was drawn immediately. Being especially poor in physical skills, I found a powerful sanctuary in this treasure trove of words and imagery.
One afternoon, as I was approaching the Library, I noticed a bicycle leaning against the wall of the auditorium. It was simply impossible for me to temper the temptation of stealing a ride. Sadly, the verandah running along the Auditorium's side to the Library was rather narrow and while I enjoyed my brief ride along it for a short spell, when I saw the Principal, Lt. Col. N.D. Hassan, and Mr Shafiq-ul-lah emerge from the Library and stare at my wobbly, unauthorised, cycling show in disbelief, I lost my balance, fell against a window pane, cracked it, and slit a minor artery on my right fore-arm. It began bleeding like a freshly-slaughtered chicken and the good Colonel, acting decisively, asked me to pinch the cut, dragged me to his car clutching my arm and drove me to a hospital in Jhenidah town. There, illuminated with a hurricane lamp, a doctor cleaned up and stitched the gash, leaving me with a crucifix-shaped mark of identification for the rest of my life. This story was never, to my knowledge, publicised and I carry the scar as my first genuine, permanent, marker of my JCC life. It was just one of many experiences which shaped the person I became and the life I have lived.

On the great occasion of The 56th College Day (23rd July 1964);
One of the 4 part series of Articles.

Top of the page
Mudassir Hossain Khan , 1/ 34
Liberation War and Me - A Quick Ride Back

Mudassir Hossain Khan , 1/ 34

1971 - The Year that was like many others, I consider myself fortunate to have graduated from High School in Jhenidah Cadet College with the 1st Intake in 1970. My childhood dream of choosing Teaching as my lifetime profession was dashed as providence had something else in store for me. I landed up in the Army to become a Military professional.

Being selected through due process, I along with a number of my classmates joined PMA(Pakistan Military Academy) in Kakul, Abottabad, to be commissioned as officer after 2 years of rigorous training in a Dungeon, they mysteriously choose to call an Academy. Like most of my classmates, I wasn't doing too bad ensuring my position in the top few of the Course as we were determined to prove, not only the Bengalis but JCC had talents as well. As a display of JCC's ability to outclass the performance of the then West Pakistanis, it wouldn't perhaps be out of place to mention that I was declared the Best Debater of the Academy as the junior most cadet and also a Bengali, only when I was in the 2nd term of the Course.

However, Allah STW had something else in mind. My training in PMA turned out to be an essential prerequisite and perhaps a launching pad for my engagement in something more glorifying than serving the infamous Pakistan Army.

Saddened, infuriated and at the same time devastated at the news of the crackdown by Pakistan Army and the gruesome killing of innocent and defenceless civilians in Bangladesh, I, along with few of my course/classmates realized that Pakistan Army was not the place for us to serve any more. It was therefore time to desert and join the Liberation War on the side of newly declared independent Bangladesh.

For the plan to succeed, it called for speedy execution. I had therefore, approached a number of Bengali cadets and Instructors for support and guidance. The response was not encouraging. Majority of those contacted, had advised against making such a dangerous move. Being determined and standing firm on the irreversible decision, our group of 7-8 left for the town Abottabad on a weekend in the month of May,1971. Arriving at the town, the group split and half among us decided to fall back to the Academy finding the game too risky.

In the Course of our attempts to cross over to India touching upon Lahore, Islamabad and Karachi, the final team was reduced to only 3. Besides me, the other two members were, LT COL Mahabub(retd), Bir,Protik from my own course and Shaheed (martyr) LT Emdadul Haque, Bir,Uttam from 46th PMA long course. Having gone through a number of abortive attempts and with the help of Allah SWT, three of us at long last took the desperate decision and also managed to cross over to Dhaka in disguise in late May 1971 on board a PIA flight.

Making a brief stoppage for only two days in Dhaka, we crossed over to Agartola, India, on foot encountering few skirmishes with the occupation army. My only action before departure from India was to handover a small handbag to my classmate Imdad in Shantinagar with instruction to drop it in my uncle's house at Dhanmondi only after I cross over to India. To our joy, we met the liberation forces and were all inducted into 8 East bengal regiment under "Z" force, the regular brigade, commanded by COL Ziaur Rahman.

The 8 East Bengal and the "Z" force being based in Teldhala, Meghalaya, I had undertaken a number of small and large operations as a company commander throughout the North Eastern belt spanning across Rangpur, Sylhet, and Mymensingh. Important battles fought by me were in Chilmari in Rangpur, Nokhshi in Mymensingh, Latu, Damai, Shagornal Tea Garden and Zakiganj, Kanaighat in Sylhet. On completion of the war, I entered Sylhet town in jubilation on 16th December, 1971 along with my battalion.

I was awarded "Bir Protik" in recognition of my gallantry contribution in the liberation war. I was also formally commissioned as an officer in Bangladesh Army along with my other compatriots having gone through a short period of training and also awarded the first Sword of Honor in newly independent Bangladesh having been declared the best all round officer cadet.

In conclusion, I hasten to state that, while I regard myself as one of the fortunate fews to have escaped from Pakistan and fought in the battle front, I firmly believe all Bangladeshis including those who were stranded in Pakistan had also participated in the liberation war. My conviction is the result of my belief that each and every Bengali had his heart and soul involved in the independence movement during the liberation war, even if he had failed to participate directly in the war for circumstances beyond his control.

On the great occasion of The 56th College Day (23rd July 1964);
One of the 4 part series of Articles.

Top of the page
Shafiqur Rahman, 1/ 36
Days of Our Lives

1. 1st day at JCC: I arrived at JCC in early afternoon with some trepidation. My mother had heard that there would be scores of smart kids coming from Dhaka who attended English medium schools and spoke fluent English. She was convinced that I couldn't compete with them because I had always attended Bengali medium schools, and especially because we'd have to speak only in English at JCC. There was only one house then-- Badr House (BH). As I entered the Common Room, where 'check in' was in progress, I witnessed a strange scene. A person, clearly of the age of one of our teachers, was holding an open suitcase with his hands. (As I found out the next day, this was Mr. Shafiqullah, our Bengali teacher.) Standing in front of him was a smallish boy (Meer Aminul Bari, 1/5) with horror in his eyes. I saw the open suitcase go slightly up and then down, landing on the floor with a thud. Out came two guavas. They rolled over the floor-- the slight irregularities of their surfaces sending them into a nonlinear trajectory despite the smooth cement floor. I also heard what
sounded like a growl. It was composed of some words, but this beginning that greeted me was so unexpected that the neurons in my brain went into a slow-motion-mode quite different from the standard human reaction time of 1/7 of a second. Till this day, I wonder whether the pain in Bari's eyes was in anticipation of the state of his suitcase after it would land or bearing witness to the loss of the four guavas he had so carefully hidden among the clothes in his suitcase. It was my turn for inspection a little later. Despite my mother's recommendation, my father had nixed the idea of packing some fruits in my suitcase because the instructions from JCC clearly asked us not to bring any food items. So I felt calm, akin to what one might feel when one goes out after a terrible cyclone - you feel calm because you know that the worst is over. Later, I heard that Bari wasn't the only one in mourning-- several other confiscations, including apples and lots of different kinds of food, had taken place during the check in. Interestingly, Mr. Shafiqullah became one of our favorite teachers at the college. Someday, I'll write about those stories. There were lots of tears that day - Shahjahan (1/2) sobbing profusely right in front of everyone, Humayun (1/6) trying to control his emotion but utterly failing at it and Hafiz (1/45) breaking down as his father left. And when the lights went out at 10 PM, there were lots and lots of misty eyes. The profound sanctity of darkness cannot be minimized - it has the benefit of allowing our most personal secrets to be kept from others.

2. Trousers vs Full-pants: Within a week after we arrived, it became clear who were 'citi boys' and who were from 'elsewhere'. Standard name given to the latter group was 'মফস্সল' and '__ '. Trousers played an important role in this sorting process. We were asked to bring two 'trousers' with us, preferably white in color. Imtiaz (1/16) and I speculated on the meaning of this word but couldn't reach a consensus. I had met him during the entrance exams for JCC. We were from neighboring towns. A dictionary seemed to suggest that 'trousers' was simply another word for fullpant. Imtiaz alerted me at the last moment that a trouser is a full-pant without any crease (fold) at the bottom. I think his father called JCC and found this out. Imtiaz quickly got two trousers tailored and brought these with him as recommended by JCC. The city boys were donning their white 'trousers' aka 'full-pants without any crease/folds at the bottom' in full glory right from day one. Unfortunately, when I was alerted by Imtiaz, I felt that my parents didn't have the means to pay for two brand new 'trousers'. So I came with one blue full-pant and one green full-pant, i.e. both with creases at the bottom. The blue one was a trifle short because it was stitched a year ago and I had grown a little taller meanwhile. I was constantly trying to pull it down so it wouldn't appear to be short, but somehow, in total defiance of Newton's law of gravity, it would quickly slide 'up' exposing my socks and proving to the entire universe that it was a bad fit. The green trouser, on the other hand, was a hand-me-down from my elder brother. It was very wide on the bottom and loose at the top, probably because the Bengali sentiment couldn't allow any amount of clothing material to be wasted when it was stitched. Cadet 1/X (I'm keeping his identity a secret) probably doesn't remember this any longer, but his remark with a sly smile on his face, when he saw me with the green trouser for the first time, left no doubt that even though I came from Khulna, which was considered to be a city, my background was clearly that of a __. I don't remember the exact words that he used, but it went something like 'an elephant could easily fit through the opening of your fu- l-l--p-a-n-t'. To add insult to injury, the ready-made trousers from the college didn't fit me. So the college tailor had to take my measurements, and in about two weeks, I got my white trousers. It's only then that my constant nightmare with trousers was over. Cadet 1/X shouldn't feel bad - I remember these incidents with great fondness. It was all part of our growing up. Also, time has the wonderful property that it makes one forget the pain and the suffering - only the good parts remain in memory.

3. Khaiber House: The following year, when the 2nd intake came, we were divided into two Houses, Badr, the original House, and Khaiber, the new House - the names coming from important battles in Islam. I was assigned to Khaiber House (KH). We heard rumors that the assignments of the cadets to the two Houses was done on the basis of academic result after the first year, with Khaiber getting Number 1, Badr getting Number 2, then Khaiber getting Number 3, and so on. In reality, that was not the case. Further, we quickly realized that KH was no match for BH in terms of athletic ability. It wasn't clear to us why the distribution of cadets was so lopsided in favor of BH. Also, to compensate for KH getting the Number 1 of the 1st intake, the top student of 2nd intake, based on the written admission test, was given to Badr, Khaiber getting the second, and so on. Surprisingly, after the first exam, Numbers 1-3 from the 2nd intake were from KH. In fact, in terms of academic results both after the first term and the final exam, the result was lopsided in favor of KH. I heard that the House Teacher of BH, Mr. A. Rouf, lobbied heavily with the Principal. As a result, the top ten tudents (academically) of the 3rd intake were assigned to Badr, the next ten to Khaiber, and so on. Surprisingly, and confounding everyone, those from Khaiber again did much better in the exams. I have some insight about how this came about. If you watched the front of the two Houses in the afternoon, you'd notice a very big difference. The front of BH had many juniors getting punished by seniors'little kids of seventh and sometimes eighth grades having to crawl on the rough asphalt road. Some of them would be bleeding because they lost skin from the corner of the elbows. KH was different. I don't recall making any junior cadet crawl of the rough road, ever. Further, we allowed the juniors to study after lights-out and also helped them with their studies. Many of us would sneak into the common room and work there. Fortunately, because of the orientation of KH, one couldn't see the lights in the common room from the Principal's house. That wasn't true of BH. We also made friends with the guards so that in the event the Principal would come toward the houses (one could see the lights of Principal's car easily from BH, but not from ours), they would alert us. Even our House Tutor, Mr. Murshed, was helpful - he would come down for inspection after 11PM,instead of 9 (for juniors) or 10 (for seniors). By then, everyone was really in bed. Before the SSC exams, we'd study in our rooms even later. We put newspapers in the ventilators and blankets against the windows so that light couldn't be seen from outside. A couple of times, Mr. Morshed alerted us "এই , লাইট ___া যায়". We worked as a team with the juniors and encouraged everyone to think outside the box, especially in connection with the Current Affairs competition. During my stay at JCC, Khaiber House was the unbeaten Champion in Academics and Current affairs each and every year. BH and Hunain House bet us squarely in athletics. However, in the last year of my stay in JCC, we were the Champion House. In fact, we did mathematical modeling and calculations to increase our total points in athletics by strategically placing our athletes, taking a small loss in one event for a big gain in another. The evening before the final day, we showed our House Master, Mr. A. Robb, that even in the worst possible case in athletics the next day, we'd win the Championship. You should have seen the expression of disbelief turn to a broad smile on Mr. Robb's face! But that's a
story for another time.

At my age, there has been time to reflect on what I gained from JCC. That understanding didn't come when we were there; that was a carefree time of joy and laughter, a time of developing deep friendships that will last a lifetime. Today, looking back, the most important thing JCC gave me was a broad based education that enhanced the quality of my life. We want an engineer not to just build roads and bridges - he must think about the effect of his work on the people who live around his projects. That kind of broad outlook, infused with awareness of what is happening in the world, is an education very few people in Bangladesh are able to get. We were so lucky. Thank you, all my teachers. Thank you everyone else who helped to mold us into what we are today. Thank you JCC.

On the great occasion of The 56th College Day (23rd July 1964);
One of the 4 part series of Articles.

Top of the page
Dr. Faridul Islam, 6/ 322
Inter Cadet College Football Championship 1975 and our pillow fight

We, the 6th intake, were in class eleven. Inter Cadet College Football Championship took place in Momenshahi Cadet College (MCC). Firoz Khan Chowdhury (5th Intake) was in class twelve and our Captain. From our class (6th Intake) were Nurullah Siddiqui (319), Shafiullah (288), Matiur Rahman (307), Ekramul Kabir (335), Mahbubul Alam (277), Nurul Islam (Bhatiza,284) and myself (322).

Nurullah was the links man (Libero). Sahfiullah (defence) and Farid (me, forward) were the gentlemen on the ground. Nurul/Bhatiza (defence) was the shortest but the most dangerous one among us. He would very often say words to an opposite forward player like these: "If you again try to make a goal, I shall send you to hospital". Many times they did not go to hospital but, I am sure, they had body pains for days together.

We were four teams from four cadet colleges. The other three were Momenshahi (MCC), Rajshahi (RCC) and Fouzdarhat (FCC). Our team was runners up and MCC won the championship. Naturally, nobody was satisfied with this result. We were of the opinion, specially Nurul, that MCC manipulated the referee and won the championship.

Nurul came to us with a new idea at the last evening of our stay in MCC. He organised a pillow fight at that night. We cleaned the floor and hid the damaged pillows under the quilts and bed sheets as soon as our pillow fight was over and a lot of pillows damaged. He requested us to go to bed earlier or at least in time, leaving behind a very gentleman like impression.

We woke up very early next morning, went to breakfast just in time and took our belongings to our college bus which was waiting in front of the house for us. Mr. Eberuddin (he was our teacher in charge) was a bit surprised to see the timing and discipline of our room. He praised us that we left the dormitory very neat and clean just as the bus started leaving the college.

We knew that Mr. Eberuddin got the information later from MCC, but he did not ever talk on this topic with us.